In a recent tweet, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has announced that “By 1 Dec 2017, you can also choose to verify your mobile SIM with Aadhaar without giving your bio-metrics to Telecom Service Providers.” This step will simplify linking your Aadhar to your mobile number as users need not visit retail outlet of their respective telecom operators and you can do it from the comfort of your home. Also, the users no longer need to submit their biometric details.
How to link your Aadhaar with Mobile Number using OTP
In order to link your Aadhaar with mobile number using an OTP, you will need to follow some simple steps outlined below.
- You’ll need to send an SMS typing your Aadhaar number from your registered mobile number to specific numbers provided by your respective telecom operators.
- Once the service provider receives your SMS, will do a demographic verification of the number.
- After the verification process is complete, the service provider will send OTP request to UIDAI.
- UIDAI will then send an OTP to the mobile number and the user is requested to send this OTP to the registered mobile number.
- Your e-KYC verification process is now complete.
It is to note that Aadhaar-based e-KYC is essential for subscribers applying for new SIM cards. In order to re-verify existing prepaid and postpaid customers, the Department of Telecom has introduced three new methods to link the registered mobile number. The three new methods are with Aadhaar – OTP based, app-based and IVRS facility. It can be done from any location within the country irrespective of which service area your mobile connection belongs to.
Telecom operators have also been directed to offer verification facility to senior citizens at their doorsteps. It will be highly convenient for those with disability, illness or old age. Telcos are also directed to build an online mechanism – which can be through the website or any other means – to request such service.