Samsung ships Snapdragon variant of its Galaxy flagships in only few select markets such as the U.S., China and Canada. Hence, its latest S-Series flagships – the Galaxy S9/S9+ powered by Qualcomm Mobile Platform are limited to few customers. Whereas, the Exynos variant is widely available all over the globe. This disparity is clearly visible on the unofficial development sector of the two variants. With the unofficial development for the former being sluggish, unlike the latter which has got an active and prosperous development community. Let’s know how to flash TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S9/S9+ Snapdragon variant.
The lack of TWRP recovery, all these while, being the main reason for the Snapdragon Galaxy S9/S9+ unofficial development not flourishing. But, since a developer(travis82) at XDA has finally come up with a reliable build of the TWRP recovery for the devices a day or so ago. We can hope the unofficial sector to see a sudden boost in coming days with the new TWRP acting as the trump-card.
You need to have unlocked bootloader before flashing the TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9+ Snapdragon variant.
If you own Exynos Variant then you can follow these guides: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S9/S9+ Samsung rolling out an update to fix Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ call issues Samsung Galaxy S9 My Emoji Maker apk now available for download
Well, here is a small tutorial on how you can flash the TWRP on the Snapdragon powered Galaxy S9/S9+. Please Read On!
Flash TWRP Recovery On Galaxy S9 /S9+ (Snapdragon)
Note: Flashing TWRP or custom binary voids warranty, and most importantly trips the Knox. That means, you will not be ever able to use Samsung’s revolutionary Samsung Pay and Secure Folder once the Knox is triggered(0X1). Hence, proceed further at your own risk and if ready to compromise these features.
- Galaxy S9/S9+(SM-G9600/G9650 only)
- Unofficial TWRP
- Odin v3
- DM-Verity & Force Encryption Disabler.
- Most importantly patience.
(All download links of the required files are given at the end of this post)
Steps to Flash TWRP Recovery or root Galaxy S9/S9+ (Snapdragon)
- Make sure you’ve unlocked the bootloader, if not click here to see how you can.
- Boot into download mode by pressing: bixby, volume down and power.
- Download the latest Odin version, open it
- Download the recovery file required for your device from below download section and put it into the AP tab.
- Untick “auto reboot” in odin and flash the file
- After flashing, boot into twrp. Make sure to NOT allow system to modify till you disable dm-verity. (otherwise your phone will be stuck at bootloop).
- Download and flash DM-Verity and Forced Encryption disabler.
- Disable encryption by formating the data partition.
Reiterating that, the above method is applicable only on Snapdragon bearing Galaxy S9/S9+ model numbers SM-G9600 and SM-G9650 only. Most importantly, the Galaxy S9/S9+ in the U.S. cannot adopt this method as they can’t be bootloader unlocked.
- Unofficial TWRP For Snapdragon Galaxy S9(Both Nougat and Oreo BL compatible: Download
- Unofficial TWRP For Snapdragon Galaxy S9+(N and O Bootloaders compatible: Download
- Odin v 3.13.1: Download
- DM-Verity Disabler: Download
This is our guide to Flash TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S9/S9+. Hopes you were successful in flashing the TWRP by adopting this guide. You can hit the comment section below if further assistance is needed.