Google update its Keyboard app with huge features after a very long time. The Google Keyboard v5.0 is rolling out with some UI tweaks, One-Handed Mode, gestures, layout changes, etc.
The Full changelog of this update is listed below.
- Option to show key border, no more holo themes
- One-handed mode
- Long-press for hinted symbols can be toggled
- Adjustable keyboard height in settings
- Vibrate strength moved to preferences from advanced
- Auto-capitalize can be toggled
- New first-run experience
- Opt-in and a setting for sharing snippets with Google to improve the keyboard for everyone
- Long-press and drag to remove suggestions from suggestion bar
- Gesture Typing:
- Dynamic floating preview removed (preview in suggestion bar now)
- Delete whole words by sliding left from delete key
- Gesture cursor control by sliding left/right on space bar
- Faster access to numpad and emoji
From the above mentioned features in the changelog One hand mode and Gesture Typing are the huge one’s. In One-Hand Mode you can now type with your one hand, this mode can be accessed through the settings and with a long-press on the comma (see below) on the search/enter button. Once you activate the Mode Keyboard shifts to one side and on the other side their are two icon, one for the full screen mode of the keyboard and other is an arrow through which you can select the side of the one hand mode keyboard. In the Gesture Typing by default, you’ll now see dynamic suggestions in the suggestion bar instead of floating along with your finger.
Google is currently rolling out this update in stages, it may take time to reach you. If you want it right now than you can go through the APKMirror for Google Keyboard New Version. However, this version of the app is currently will not be installed on Android N.