After the announcement at Google IO 2014 developer confer conference, Google is now rolling out Google Play 5.0 Update to devices. This is pretty big update from version 4.4 to 5.0. Mainly it includes Android’s Wearable platform support, with the Android Wear API, security features and many new features introduced and previewed at Google IO.
The App Indexing API lets you tell Google about deep links in your native application. The Google Search app can show your app’s history to to users as part of instant search suggestions and more.
Features of Google Play Store 5.0:
- Android wearable services: APIs that make it easier to communicate with apps running on Android Wear devices. Includes low-latency messaging interface for syncing data and more.
- Dynamic security provider: API that can be used by apps to install dynamic security provider. Current version includes OpenSSL fixes.
- Google Play game services: Quests are APIs for time-based goals that can reward players for performing tasks in a game. Meanwhile, Saved Games enables game saves in the cloud for accessing across multiple devices.
- App Indexing API: Notify Google about deep links in native apps to help grow user engagement. This is done by allowing Google Search app to serve app info as instant search suggestions.
- Google Cast: Includes media tracks for Chromecast closed captioning.
- Drive: Google Drive API allows users to sort query results, create folders while offline and more.
- Wallet: Wallet objects takes things like loyalty cards and offers and stores them in the cloud. Save to Wallet button enables users to save offers to Google Wallet. Users can also use Google Wallet balance to pay for Instant Buy transactions.
- Analytics: Measure product impressions, product clicks, view product details, add product to shopping cart, initiate checkout and give refunds. Helps users to gain more info about their business, like how far consumers get in purchase process and where they abandon it.
- Mobile Ads: New default implementation for consumable purchases using Google Play In-app Billing.
It involves features which need developers attention to get fully integrated with the apps and devices in recent future. It will be rolled out automatically by Google.