The last major update for Chromebooks was rolled out in December i.e. Chrome OS 63. It brought Meltdown patches for new Intel-powered Chromebooks with kernels 3.18 and 4.4. Now, a new Chrome OS update with version number 65 is being rolled out with patches for Spectre variant 2 and Meltdown for older Intel-powered Chromebooks.
Google Chrome OS 65 update also brings local file search, video profile picture and options to control the voice pitch from lowest to highest in Select-to-Speak accessibility feature. It also includes a compiler-based fix which prevents kernel-to-user, guest-to-guest, and host-to-guest information leaks.
Here are some other additions which are included in the new Chrome OS 65 update
- ARC++ WM resize shadow and drag magnetization
- MIDI API support for Android apps running on Chrome OS
- Advanced options screen for tablet setup
- New setting for more accurate timezone detection
For Enterprise users only,
- Enterprise policy for keeping account sign-in consistent between browser and device
- Kiosk mode now supports mix mode for external displays, extended and mirroring mode simultaneously
- Automatic Re-Enrollment for managed devices
- Support device-wide certificates in SAML SSO sign-in
If you haven’t received the update yet, do not worry as it will be hitting your devices sooner or later. And if you have received it, then leave a comment below.