Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 3 was a massive success for the company in 2016. This product made Xiaomi a household name in India. If you own a Redmi Note 3 and bored of MIUI, this is our guide to unlock bootloader and install a custom recovery. After successfully installing recovery, you can enjoy any custom ROM of your choice or root the device for special privileges.
Samsung Redmi Note 3 packs Snapdragon 650 powered Redmi Note 3 comes with MIUI 7 based on Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) out of the box in March. It comes with 2/3 GB of RAM and 16/32 GB of Storage respectively. It packs Quick Charge 3.0 for fast charging. Well, but as the time passes, so the support and the hardware gets old. To tune up with the software, we need some custom ROMs for Redmi Note 3.
Guides you might like regarding the Redmi Note 3 Custom ROMs for Redmi Note 3 Also, make sure you have the latest version of TWRP installed on your Redmi Note 3. Next, make sure you also backup your Android device data just in case. Also, you need Root access with Magisk Manager on Redmi Note 3. You can also check our guide to root Redmi Note 3.
Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 3
Proceed with the steps carefully to unlock the bootloader of Redmi Note 3.
Applying for Unlock
- Log into your Mi Account which you have added to your phone.
- Visit Xiaomi’s Unlock Page and apply for the unlock.
- Fill the credentials and select Apply Now.
- Then, wait until you get permission from Xiaomi via text message. It may even take days, so don’t lose hope.
- Once, you get the permission download Mi Unlock Tool and unzip it.
- Install Mi USB drivers from the unzipped folder.
- Then, open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign into your Mi Account.
NOTE: You should have the same account signed into your phone too.
4. Now, enable USB debugging in your phone.
Go to Settings -> About Phone and tap seven times on MIUI version to enable Developer Option
Then, go to Settings -> Additional Settings -> Developer Option , enable USB debugging from there.
5. Once you are done with USB debugging, switch off your phone.
6. The press and hold Volume Down Key and Power key simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode.
7. Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and select Unlock.
8. You successfully unlocked the bootloader of Redmi Note 3.
NOTE: It part is more crucial, you will get an error. Try the Unlocking procedure daily until your bootloader gets unlocked. Don’t worry and please I repeat do not lose hope. It may even take a week.
Install Custom Recovery on Redmi Note 3
- After Unlocking Bootloader, download the Platform Tools and unzip it.
- Then, also download the TWRP recovery.
NOTE: Download the latest version available.
- Now, switch off your phone and enter into bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume Down Key and Power key simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Copy the TWRP image file to the unzipped Platform-Tools folder.
- Then, press and hold the shift key while clicking the right mouse button in the folder and select Open Command Window here.
NOTE: Latest Windows update has PowerShell instead of command, but both are same.
5. Now, type fastboot devices to check if the PC or not detect your phone. If it returns a string which is typically your phone’s serial number, your device is connected correctly.
6. Then, type fastboot flash recovery (name of your twrp file).img and press Enter. This will install the TWRP recovery in your phone.
Tip: Rename the twrp file to a simple name.
7. Now, reboot your phone by either pressing and holding Power Key or typing a simple command fastboot reboot.
Root Redmi Note 3
- Download the SuperSu zip file and copy it in your phone.
- Launch the Updater App, select the dot on the top right to open options.
- There, select Reboot to Recovery mode.
- Once the TWRP recovery boots up, go to Install and locate the downloaded zip file.
- Then, swipe to install the zip file.
- After the installation, reboot your device.
- Your Redmi Note 3 is now successfully rooted.
Installing Custom ROMs for Redmi Note 3
You have successfully unlocked your bootloader, installed a custom recovery and also rooted your phone. Here we have listed some Best Custom ROMs for Redmi Note 3.
You might like to check custom ROMs for Redmi Note 3 Best Android Oreo ROMs for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Best Custom ROMs for Redmi Note 4 that you should look Best custom ROMs for Xiaomi Redmi 4 Best custom ROMs for Redmi 2 2018 Best Custom ROMs for Xiaomi Redmi 5A (2018)
This is our guide to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, root Redmi Note 3 and install custom rom on Redmi Note 3.