Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 3 was a huge success for the company in 2016. This product made Xiaomi a household name in India. If you own a Redmi Note 3 and bored of MIUI, this is our guide to unlock bootloader and install a custom recovery. After successfully installing recovery, you can enjoy any custom ROM of your choice or simply root the device for special privileges.
Applying for Unlock
- Log into your Mi Account which you have added in your phone.
- Visit Xiaomi’s Unlock Page and apply for the unlock.
- Fill the credentials and select Apply Now.
- Then, wait until you get permission from Xiaomi via text message. It may even take days, so don’t lose hope.
- Once, you get the permission download Mi Unlock Tool and unzip it.
- Install Mi USB drivers from the unzipped folder.
- Then, open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign into your Mi Account.
NOTE : You should have the same account signed into your phone too.
4. Now, enable USB debugging in your phone.
Go to Settings -> About Phone and tap seven times on MIUI version to enable Developer Option
Then, go to Settings -> Additional Settings -> Developer Option , enable USB debugging from there.
5. Once you are done with USB debugging, switch off your phone.
6. The, press and hold Volume Down Key and Power key simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode.
7. Connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and select Unlock.
NOTE : This part is more crucial, you will get error. Try the Unlocking procedure daily until your bootloader gets unlocked. Don’t worry and please I repeat do not lose hope. It may even take a week.
Installing Custom Recovery
- After Unlocking Bootloader, download the Platform Tools and unzip it.
- Then, also download the TWRP recovery.
NOTE : Download the latest version available.
- Now, switch off your phone and enter into bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume Down Key and Power key simultaneously.
- Connect you phone to the PC via USB cable.
- Copy the TWRP img file to the unzipped Platform Tools folder.
- Then, press and hold shift key while clicking right mouse button in the folder and select Open Command Window here.
NOTE : Latest Windows update has PowerShell instead of command but both are same.
5. Now, type fastboot devices to check if your phone is detected by the PC or not. If it returns a string which is typically your phone’s serial number, your device is connected properly.
6. Then, type fastboot flash recovery (name of your twrp file).img and press Enter. This will install the TWRP recovery in your phone.
Tip : Rename the twrp file to a simple name.
7. Now, reboot your phone by either pressing and holding Power Key or typing a simple command fastboot reboot.
Rooting The Device
- Download the SuperSu zip file and copy it in your phone.
- Launch the Updater App, select the dot on the top right to open options.
- There, select Reboot to Recovery mode.
- Once the TWRP recovery boots up, go to Install and locate the downloaded zip file.
- Then, swipe to install the zip file.
- After the installation, simply reboot your device.
- Your Redmi Note 3 is now successfully rooted.
Installing Custom ROMs
This is it, you have successfully unlocked your bootloader ,installed a custom recovery and also rooted your phone. Check out the wide range of custom ROMs from XDA Developers. Here we have listed some Best Custom ROMs for Note 3.