Looks like the folks over at Best Buy are going to be the first to be graced with the presence of the highly anticipated
Honeycomb Gingerbread tablet from our favorite Taiwanese manufacturer. The HTC Flyer is now available for pre-order on Best Buy’s website for $499.99. We ASSume for the most part that T-Mobile should be picking up the device as well due to the fact that the device supports HSPA/WCDMA AWS/2100 MHz and Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE at 1800/1900 MGz. I’m thinking of trading my trusty Galaxy Tab 7″ for the Flyer, assuming it will be graced with Honeycomb shortly after release.
A couple of things that set this device apart from the rest of the tablet community, would be the fact that as far as we can tell, this is the first “skinned” (Sense UI) tablet running Gingerbread 2.3 and could possibly remain skinned after the Honeycomb update. Furthermore, the Flyer is the first device to sport the new HTC Scribe technology which allows you to use a “stylus” like device to write, draw, take notes and highlight items. The device should also come equipped with the new HTC Sense 3.0 at launch, and although we were told the skin would require at least a dual-core chip due to its CPU intensive nature and “hardware limitations“, the Flyer’s 1.5 GHz processor should still suffice. So, gonna get one? Let us know what you think in the comments below.
HTC Flyer Specs:
- 7-inch, 1024×600 resolution screen (identical to the Galaxy Tab)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255 processor
- HDMI port
- DLNA-enabled for wireless streaming
- 5MP rear camera with both LED flash and facial recognition
- 1.3MP front-facing camera for video calling, Skype is preinstalled
- When the specs were received the device was running Gingerbread, but it just may be running Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- A remodeled version of HTC Sense that is more desktop-like
- HSPA connectivity (T-Mobile 4G?)