OnePlus has initiated the roll-out of a new update under Open Beta to its yesteryear’s flagships, OnePlus 5 and 5T. The latest OxygenOS Open Beta 17 is being hit on the OnePlus 5, while it’s Open Beta version 15 for the OnePlus 5T. Barring the difference in the version number, the updates for both the devices cater almost same changes or improvements.
Pertinently, the changelog of the update mentions the added front-cam portrait mode, August security patch and tons of other improvements. Note that the recent stable OxygenOS for the devices have already brought the August security patch.. Anyway, seeing the changelog, one can deduce how bulky the latest OTA should be and indeed it is with around 1.5GB in size. The complete changelog of the new beta goes as follow:
- Added Toast message source for Toast messages sent by background apps
- Added description about sleep standby optimization when the function is turned on for the first time
- Optimized background power consumption control
- Fixed call recording issue in India
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.8
- Added portrait mode for the front camera
- Gaming mode 3.0
- Added call suspension notification
- Added text notification mode
- UI and interaction optimization
- Hourly weather forecast
- 8 units of meteorological data including precipitation probability and Perceived temperature
- Improved weather data accuracy
- New OxygenOS UI
- Optimized process for sharing notes as an image
- Oneplus Switch
- UI optimization
OnePlus has been in a venture to reform the Oxygen UI since the last update for OnePlus 6. Now, it seems the UI reformation is being extended to OnePlus 5/5T with the new beta. Moreover, there are other region specific fixes such as call recording fix for India.
It’s good to see OnePlus significantly improving the OxygenOS on its devices. Recently, OnePlus has been busy in perfecting the software of its latest flagship OnePlus 6. And, as its result previous update for the device brought considerable camera improvements and new features. However, the new beta update for the OnePlus 5/5T shows OnePlus commitment to routinely update all most all of its eligible devices, and not just the latest ones.