The Redmi Note 8 is the newest child in the Redmi Note series alongside the Redmi Note 8 Pro. As expected, the Redmi Note 8 is more developer-friendly than its pro counterpart as it features a Qualcomm SoC rather than a one from MediaTek. And hence, it already has a number of custom ROMs and also official support for TWRP, which is still pending for the Redmi Note 8 Pro. Nevertheless, if you own a Redmi Note 8 or a Redmi Note 8 Pro and want to root it, it is as simple as any other Xiaomi smartphone. To make the task easier, we bring you our guide on how to root Redmi Note 8 / Pro without any hassle.
Pre-requisites for rooting Redmi Note 8 / Pro
- Redmi Note 8 with an unlocked bootloader
- USB cable
- Windows PC / Laptop
- ADB and Fastboot Drivers
- Redmi Note 8 Drivers
- TWRP for Redmi Note 8
- TWRP for Redmi Note 8 Pro
- Magisk installer
Note: Make sure to unlock your Redmi Note 8’s / Pro’s bootloader before proceeding as a locked bootloader does not allow to install TWRP recovery, which is required to root the device.
How to root Redmi Note 8 / Pro
- Go to Settings -> About phone on your Redmi Note 8 / Pro and tap on MIUI version seven times to enable Developer options.
- Then, navigate to Additional settings -> Developer options and enable USB debugging from there.
- Now, copy the Magisk installer zip to the phone’s internal storage or microSD card if you have inserted one.
- Once the file is copied, connect the device to your Windows PC / Laptop via USB cable.
- Additionally, also copy the TWRP img file for Redmi Note 8 / Pro to the Fastboot and ADB directory.
- Open Power Shell or command prompt window from the Fastboot and ADB directory and execute the following command.
adb reboot bootloader
- On executing the above command, the phone will be rebooted to Fastboot mode.
- After the phone enters Fastboot mode, execute the following command to flash the TWRP recovery on your Redmi Note 8.
fastboot flash recovery 'NAME_OF_TWRP_FILE'.img
- Now switch on the phone by executing the command ‘fastboot reboot’ and as the phone turns on completely, execute the below-mentioned command to reboot to TWRP recovery.
adb reboot recovery
- As the phone reboots into TWRP recovery, navigate to Install and select the copied Magisk installer zip file to root the device.
- After the installation gets finished successfully, tap on the Reboot option to reboot your phone into the system.
- That is it, and you have successfully rooted your Redmi Note 8 / Pro without any issue.
Also Read: Best Android One-Click Root apps
And that was the end of our guide on how to root Redmi Note 8 / Pro. If you are facing difficulties or have doubts/queries, then do feel free to drop them in the comment section below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.