Android is always known for the fragmentation, where OEMs fail to update their devices to the latest versions. It is the biggest problem in the Android world. Well, despite some disadvantages there are various advantages for Android devices. One of them is the availability of custom ROMs and MODs. Similarly, today will let you know how you can unlock the bootloader of the Moto G5 with minimal steps.
Are you going to install Custom ROM? or going to root the stock ROM to get a full hold on your device? Then Unlocking Moto G5 bootloader is essential to perform the tasks mentioned above.
Moto G5 Specs
Moto G5 was launched on March 15, 2017, and comes packed with Snapdragon 430 Chipset powering 3GB RAM. It is embedded with a 5 inch full HD display having 424 PPI pixel density. THere’s a single 13-megapixel primary camera on the rear while a 5-megapixel shooter is present on the front side. It features 3000 mAh non-removable battery with Turbocharging support.
The Moto G5 Plus smartphone runs on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. The thickness of the phone measures 7.7mm and weighs over 155 grams, In connectivity, it includes GPS< Bluetooth, GM, 3G, and 4G VoLte.
Why Unlock Bootloader of Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus?
It is such a good device, Motorola rolled some updates to make it compatible with latest features. But, now Motorola is not actively rolling out updates for Moto G5, users are currently looking for third-party alternates to install on the device. The only option is to root and install custom ROM on Moto G5. In order to do so, we have prepared a detailed guide to unlock the bootloader of the Moto G5.
There are many Pros and Cons of unlocking a bootloader on an Android device.
Pros of Unlocking a Bootloader
- Allow to Root Android device
- Flash Mods and Custom ROMs easily.
- Easily flash files without losing data
- Remove Preinstalled Bloatware
- Install Incompatible apps
- Shift to the latest Android version
Cons of Unlocking a Bootloader
- Your Warranty is voided (Some OEMs follow this rule)
- Security Issues
- It can Brick device while installing third party stuff on your device
- Charge your phone up to >70%
- Head over to Motorola Official Website > Sign UP> Login
- Unlocking Bootloader will wipe all data, so backup your important data.
- Download Minimal ADB Tool for Windows/Mac
- Download Motorola USB Drivers on your PC.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus
To Root Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus, you need to unlock the bootloader and then install a Custom Recovery. So let’s proceed how we can unlock the bootloader of Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus:
- Enable Developer’s Option, To Enable it, Goto Settings > About > Software Information > More and tap on Build Number 7 times. Now you have enabled the Developer option.
- Now, head over to Settings Menu once again, -> Tap Developer Option and enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging from the menu.
- Download and Extract Minimal ADB fastboot Zip file on your PC.
- You can open the Command Prompt by pressing SHIFT+Right mouse click, then select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Now type the command in your command window, and see if your device asks to allow Debugging, Click OK.
- Switch off your Moto G5, Press Volume Down and Power button to boot into Fastboot mode, now connect your device to your laptop or PC.
- Enter the following command to boot into bootloader:
adb reboot bootloader
- Type the command below to make sure fastboot drivers are correctly installed.
- If your PC detects your device, then you can proceed with the below procedure.
- Now, tap volume down button on your phone and Select Boot to Download Mode option with power key.
- Now, type the command below to unlock the bootloader of Moto G5:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
Go to Motorola’s official website, hit NEXT at the bottom of the page. Paste this in your command prompt and hit enter, a lot of numbers will be displayed on CMD now you have to copy all of them and paste them on the website under this:
Check if your device can be unlocked by sticking this string in the field below, and clicking “Can my device be unlocked?
(NOTE: remove boot-loader, Brackets, and extra spaces)
Click on “Can my device be unlocked. If your device is unlockable, a “REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button will appear at the bottom of that page.
- The same key will be sent to you on your email address. (You may receive the key at the same time or may take some time).
- After you receive the key, go to the website. You will find UNLOCK YOUR DEVICE under which all the commands to be used are mentioned.
- Open the command prompt and type:
- Now, type :
fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
(KEY: the one you would have received), Hit enter.(NOTE: A warning would be displayed, and you have to re-run the command to ensure the unlocking process and to do so press the up arrow key and hit enter)
- If you can see “Bootloader is Unlocked” on your command prompt, then you are successful.
Now, you can root Moto G5 with TWRP Recovery and SuperSu.
Read More: Best Android P Custom ROMs for Moto G 2015 How to install Resurrection Remix on Moto G5 Plus
Now, you have successfully unlocked Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus with our guide. If you get any problem while unlocking the bootloader, then reply us in the comments below for the solution.