Samsung announced the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge in March of 2015. The duo were their flagships of 2015. The Galaxy S6 duo brought new design to the Galaxy S series. They were the first smartphones from Samsung to feature a glass and metal build. Till then, Samsung phones were made up of plastic, even their flagships for which they were heavily criticized. Though Galaxy S6 duo had a new design, they omitted microSD card support, water resistance and removable battery.
It’s been 20 months since the Galaxy S6 was discontinued. But, if you own one of those Galaxy S6 devices except for S6 Edge+, we have a good news for you. You can taste the sweetness of Android Oreo on your device right now. But, you must have an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery installed on your phone.
Before heading over to the process, let us recall the specifications of the Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge.
- 5.1 inches QHD AMOLED display / curved (S6 Edge)
- Exynos 7420 Octa-core processor
- 4 GB RAM
- 32GB/ 64GB/ 128GB ROM
- Android 5.0.2 Lollipop (upgradable to 7.0 Nougat)
- 16 MP primary camera with f/1.9 aperture and OIS
- 5 MP secondary camera
- Fingerprint and Heart Rate sensors
- 2,550 mAH battery / 2,600 (S6 Edge)
NOTE: This custom ROM is only supported on Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge with model no.s G920x and G925x. It does not support the Edge+ variant. Anyways, we are not responsible if anything goes wrong by installing this ROM on your device. Proceed at your own risk.
How to install Android Oreo on Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge
- Download the Android Oreo custom ROM from here. (XDA developers)
- Copy the ROM file to your device if you have downloaded it on your PC.
- Reboot the phone to recovery mode by pressing Power, Volume up and Home buttons simultaneously while switching on the device.
- Once the custom recovery is booted, we would recommend you to take a backup of your current system in case if anything goes wrong.
- Then, wipe System, Data, Cache and Dalvik cache from the wipe option.
- And then, go to install option, locate the ROM file on your device and install it.
- Once, the ROM gets installed, simply reboot the phone.
- Voila !! Your phone now runs on Android Oreo.
- The ROM is not pre-rooted and does not contain Google services.
- Thus, if you want Google services and Root, you have to install GApps and Magisk along with the Rom.
- Download GApps from here and Magisk from here.
What’s working on this ROM ?
- Calls, SMS, Mobile Data
- 2D / 3D graphics + Vulkan
- Hardware codecs does not work.
- Videos recorded on stock camera cannot be played on the stock video player. (use VLC )
- ‘Device Only’ mode GPS does not work properly in some apps.
- Random freezes.
That’s it guys, you can now enjoy Android Oreo on Galaxy S6 devices with this custom ROM. As the Galaxy S6 duo is over two years old, Samsung will not provide official Oreo update. Hence, you are stuck with this ROM as of now. However, more ROMs will emerge in coming days, so do not lose hope. Happy Flashing !!